Fennel Seed & Hawthorn Pork Roast
Featuring fennel seeds and hawthorn berries, this beautiful pork shoulder was marinated in hawthorn berry tea overnight to tenderize it, before it was roasted to caramelize the crust and infuse the sweetness of hawthorn berries and earthiness of fennel - a combination of herbs that boosts heart health and aids digestion.
2 Tbs Hawthorn Berry
2 Tbs Fennel Seed
2 tsp Dried Rosemary
1 tsp Dried Thyme leaves
1 tsp Peppercorn
1 tsp Sea Salt
5 Tbs Minced garlic
2 large onions (sliced)
1 fennel bulb (sliced)
1kg Pork Butt/Shoulder
- Make a tea out of the hawthorn berries by steeping them in boiling water and set aside the hawthorn tea to cool it down
- Marinate the pork shoulder in the hawthorn berry tea overnight
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C
- Toast the fennel seeds, thyme, rosemary & peppercorns on low heat until fragrant
- Score the fat layer of the pork roast and massage all the spices and salt into the meat.
- Spread the sliced onions, hawthorn berries and fennel into the bottom of a large roasting pan, pour enough water into the pan to cover the vegetables. Place the roast on top of the onions and fennel with the fat layer facing upwards
- Roast in the preheated oven until the pork is tender (1.5 hours). A meat thermometer should read 85 degrees C in the middle of the roast.
- Let the roast rest for 10 min before slicing.
Enjoy your juicy, healthy and tender dish!